Orthokeratology is a process that uses specially designed rigid gas permeable contact lenses that is worn overnight during sleep to temporarily reshape the contour of the cornea to reduce myopia (nearsightedness). Orthokeratology is also called “ortho-K”, and also called corneal reshaping, corneal refractive therapy or vision shaping.
What are the benefits of orthokeratology?
1. Safe and reversible vision correction without surgery.
2. Slows down myopia progression.
3. Freedom from wearing spectacles during the day. Perfect for sport and active children.
Who will benefit from orthokeratology treatment?
1. Children, preferably 8 to 21 years old, with progressive myopia of -6.00 and astigmatism of up to -1.50
2. Busy and active individuals who want to break free from wearing contacts and eyeglasses
What is the process of the treatment?
Step 1: treatment program (1 year)
1. Initial assessment. Measuring your eyes and determining what lenses you will need if you are a good candidate.
2. The required Belcon OK lenses. Specifically designed gas permeable lenses that will make you see well without contact lenses.
3. Follow-up check up. To ensure proper use and know-how how to take care of your lenses.
Once the treatment program is over and the desired results are achieved, you can wear the GP lenses at night only and see well during the day without any corrective lenses.
Step 2: Maintenance program (1 year)
1. Eye health check every 3 months/ to ensure your lenses are fitting well and your eyes are healthy.
1. How many hours should one wear the lenses overnight?
a. Minimum of 5 hours of sleep
2. How many days of treatment before I see results?
a. 1 week
3. How long is the effect of OrthoK during the day?
a. Usually up to 1 day, for low prescription, up to 2 days
4. What needs to be measured from me?
a. Spectacle prescription in standard illumination, corneal size, curvature and health
5. How long does my contact lens last?
a. 1 year